In order for school personnel to legally administer medications during school hours, the district must receive both of the following:
1. A written order signed by the prescribing physician stating:
- Name of the medication
- Time(s) to be given
- Effect of medication
2. A written request from the parent/guardian.
3. The medication must be brought to school by the parent/guardian in a pharmacy-labeled container. Medication cannot be transported daily to and from school. Parents should request two containers from the pharmacist – one to remain at school and one for home. Over-the-counter medications must be in the original manufacturer’s container.
4. Medication orders must be renewed annually, or when there is a change in medication or dosage.
5. All medications must be picked up by a parent/guardian or responsible adult when use is discontinued or at the end of the school year.
Please call your child’s school nurse if you have any questions about medication in school.