As this winter weather season begins, please take a moment to review Chenango Valley Central School District’s closing, delay, and early dismissal procedures to help ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff. The district will notify parents/guardians about these occurrences through the channels listed below.
- A school closing means that all schools are closed
for that calendar day. When school is closed due to inclement weather, there
will not be extracurricular activities. This includes all meetings, practices, and contests.
- With a one or two-hour delay schedule, your child’s school day will begin one or two hours after the regular start time. Dismissal times will remain the same.
- If there is a one-hour delay in the morning, A.M. pre-K classes will begin one hour later than their normal start time. Dismissal will be at the normal A.M. time. If there is a two-hour delay in the morning, the A.M. pre-K classes are canceled. P.M. classes attend on the normal P.M. schedule for one and two-hour delays.
- In the event that a three-hour delay schedule is utilized, your child’s school day will start three hours after the usual start time with dismissal times staying the same. A three-hour delay schedule would be utilized only if weather conditions forecasted indicate a significant improvement that would allow road crews the time needed to make our roadways safe for travel. In addition, a three-hour delay may assist us in preventing changes to planned vacation days already on our school calendar.
- If there is an early dismissal due to potentially dangerous weather conditions, all extracurricular activities and late buses will be canceled. Please make sure that you have a plan in place for situations where your child may be released early.
- Careful regard for safety is made when considering snow, ice, and other weather-related delays or closings. Contact is made with local town highway departments, input from the National Weather Service is considered, and discussions are held with our transportation department and other area school districts.
- Notifications for delays, closings, and early dismissals are shared with local media and sent via Ed Alert (which includes an email/text message notification) and/or our automated calling system (these voice messages are sent to the phone numbers of students’ primary contact). *Please make sure that you are signed up for our emergency alerts and that your information is up-to-date. Here is the link to check: http://www.cvcsd.stier.org/PortalLogin.aspx
***If you would like to be removed from the automated calling system for weather-related closings, delays and early dismissals, please contact CV Director of Technology/Curriculum Sarah Latimer at SLatimer@cvcsd.stier.org. Please note that you cannot be removed from automated calls regarding attendance.***
- Notifications are also posted on our website (www.cvcsd.stier.org), and shared on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
As always, the safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority. We greatly appreciate your continued cooperation and understanding.